Bury St Edmund is named after Saint Edmund. Rachel shared the history of Edmund and I thought it was worth sharing. As you can see from the statues above he was a martyr. The town is small, but most towns outside the major cities that we visited are.
The Nutshell (top left photo) was the smallest pub in the world until another was built recently. What you see is truly what you get. People were packed in enjoying themselves. The picture of Gavin and I is in from of a hotel, aren't the vines and flower baskets amazing!
Gavin is a great traveler. He loves getting into his stroller and seeing sites. He has been to over 30 countries (I think) and he isn't even two yet so he is accustomed to traveling :)
As we were walking through the town headed to the ruins we ran into a the Elders from Jacob and Rachel's ward. One of the Elders was from Queen Creek, Arizona! He was very excited when I showed him pictures of the Gilbert, Arizona Temple that is under construction. Isn't it a small world :)
St Edmundsbury Cathedral and Abbey Ruins
The amazing history that other countries have is very interesting to me. A lot of the draw to traveling to other countries is in fact learning their cultures and histories. I enjoyed our time at St. Edmundbury and seeing the ruins. The church was destroyed after King James changed the church so that he could divorce his wives. The cathedral and abbey were quite large. There were graves marked with names of people that fought against the King to try and save the church/religion.
As you can can see the grounds are gorgeous. They have a playground that Gavin enjoyed while Jacob showed Adam and I around.
The Chapel has been rebuilt and is still older than buildings in the United States! The colorful item in the two pictures above is actually the Baptismal Font and they still use it today. As Rachel and I walked around we were able to hear choir members warming up getting ready for choir practice.
Rachel is a great photographer and she snapped lots of pictures of Adam and I. The pictures in the archway has become a must for family and friends that visit. I was excited to be added to tradition!
The photo on the upper right shows a home on the church grounds that was built with the rubble of the cathedral and abbey. There were many building and fences that used the rubble. The homes and buildings around the area are very unique because of look it gives their home exteriors.
Dadam had fun playing dead! The door you see on the lower left is a very small door. It looks like the entry door into a children's playhouse. We joked that this must have been the Hobbits entrance!! Hundreds of years ago people were of smaller stature though.
Gavin and I took a few pictures in the rose garden. There were a lot of military memorials within the garden. What a fun way to start our day!






No comments:
Post a Comment