Tuesday, August 30, 2011

"Mom, when do I get a phone?"

Yesterday after school Adam was sitting at the table finishing up some schoolwork.  He paused and looked up to ask the above question.  "Mom, when do I get a phone?"  I could hear the excitement in his voice and was still a little taken back by the question.  I am sure that my response wasn't what he was aiming for!  I laughed and then gained my thoughts and composer to answer his very innocent question.  "When your twelve", was my quick response.  He did the math and said "I will be in like 7th grade!"  I had not done the math, but it sounded good!!  I asked Adam if his friends had phones and of course some of them do.  We continued to talk and I explained that a lot of kids don't have Moms that are home when they get off the bus.  They also don't have both their Mom's and Dad's living at home with them.  I explained that since he was lucky (I don't know if he felt lucky at this time.) enough to have both a Mom at home waiting for him and a Mom and Dad living with him he didn't need his own phone yet.  The excitement from the first question was squashed, but I did assure him that at the moment Dad and Mom thought he needed a phone, we would be sure to get him one even if he wasn't 12 yet!!  I can't believe that 3rd graders already have their own phones.  I was a junior in high school before I even had a phone in my room let alone a personal cell phone!!  Kids these days :)  lol

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have seriously been dealing with this question for a year and a half at least!!! It is actually getting to the point of being rediculous that hayden asks us ALL the time!!! We told him when he is 12 too. Every time he asks, we remind him, don't ask until 6 months before you turn twelve. He is obsessed with gettting and iphone. Averyday he comes up with new ways to save enough money to get himself one becasue they are "only $49.99".... Then we explain to him the monthly fee and us having to switch cell phone servers... It is exhausting the number of times he has asked. I hope for your sanity that Adam isn't as persistent as Hayden!!!! Although, now that it looks like Tmobile is getting the iphone - I have a feeling hayden will be even more anxious!

Sleepless In St. George said...

I got my girl a phone when she was 12, but not just because she turned 12. She babysits a lot and most of the places she babysits don't have a home phone, so she had no way to call 911 if there was an emergency. My boys really want one but will be waiting a long time! They are also "lucky"! They don't use the house phone why would they need a personal phone?!

Theresa Beals said...

You guys are nice...I would have said when you get a job and pay for it! Do you remember Stan at Ricks? He always carried that enormous cell phone in his back pocket and we made fun of him. :o) He was the only person I knew who had a cell phone!

Kendi said...

You can make him feel better about the age of 12 by letting him know that our 16 year old does not have a phone yet. We have the rule that the owner of the phone has to pay for their own service. Good luck as it does seem to be the "in thing" these days!