So...what do you do with four little ones when they are crawling the walls at home? Go and Do! My parents were always so good and still are good at filling the days with activities. I can remember Dad putting us into the van and just driving. Back then it would make me crazy to just drive around, but now I see the wisdom my parents had in keeping the five of us out and about!
The last weekend before school Dadam headed off to school himself and I had planned a few activities for the kids and I to do to keep busy. Driving out to Surprise, Arizona was one of the things we did for a day because I purchased little chairs for Alex's therapy table off of Craigslist. School started though and the week of routine was amazing! Saturday by 10:00 am though I was ready to send the kids to their rooms for the day. Instead of doing that I put them all in the van and drove the whole 101 loop beginning in Chandler. By the time we arrived in Glendale the kids were needing to stretch their legs. Our family has visited Cabela's (a sporting goods store). I figured that would be a fun place to let the kids get out and explore.
We had a fun time looking at all of the animals and fish. We walked through the store three times and still left with Alex crying and wanting more! As we walked through the gun area Alex kept insisting that not only did he want to hold the guns, but he wanted to take one home. We watched a few people testing their new bows and all the kids really liked that.
After we finished our walk through Cabela's we headed to In & Out for burgers and shakes. I took all the kids inside, but we ended up going right back into the van (lots of screaming and tears) because no seats were opening up. We went through the drive-thru and I decided to still allow the kids shakes. This ended up being either a great thing or a big mistake!! Amelia ended up throwing her shake to the floor before Addison could catch it. I took the first exit off Interstate 10 and the 101 and pulled into a hotel parking lot to clean up the mess. As we got on our way again we quickly ran into bumper to bumper traffic. There had been an accident with three vehicles, one of which rolled and caught on fire. I am guessing that we would have either barley missed the accident or possibly could have participated if we hadn't had a milk shake to clean up. Needless to say the drive home was a long one!
Yesterday we were having a hard time without a routine once again so we loaded up and tried to head to Anthem to walk around their outlet mall. We were on the 101 by Tatum (the top of the 101 and 51) and their was construction. I tried to go around, but quickly bailed on the Anthem idea for the day. We drove down Tatum until I recognized where we were and slowly (stopping a few times) headed back home.
I knew that with the kids being sick or contagious for one more day, going to church was out of the question...I started doing some research on what we could possibly do tomorrow. Canyon Lake? Picnic in Payson? I didn't know what it was going to be, but I knew it had to be something.
When the kids and I woke up the bickering and fighting was well on it's way by 8:00 am so I asked the kids if they wanted to drive into the mountains for a picnic. (I figured the none water route was a better idea while on my own with the kids!) They were excited so I quickly looked for a park close to Payson that had picnic facilities and we were off and running by 9:00 am!
From our home to the Tonto Natural Bridge State Park is a good two hour drive! Lots of tears were shed as we drove through the mountains with ears popping and bottoms ready to get out of the vehicle! Once we arrived though they started to calm down and get excited. I was a little surprised that we had to pay to get in though.
We found a table away from the crowd and enjoyed our lunch. Alex didn't stop to eat though, he found his stick and was enjoying the freedom of the outdoors. I was enjoying the cooler weather :)
As we were finishing our lunch a family came to the point of the Pine Trail after finishing their hike. I asked them if the trail would be good for the kids and I and they said no. They recommended Viewpoint 3 and 4. The kids and I packed up the van after lunch and drove over to 3 and 4. The path was very nice and short. We were above the canyon and bridge. Amelia was very nervous especially on the walk overs with the grates. Her big brother helped her walk across! We looked down at the path to the area under the natural bridge. I asked the kids if they wanted to give it a try and they were willing!
The bridges led to large rocks that we then needed to climb up and over. I didn't know that I was taking my kids hiking when I left this morning...I would have put tennis shoes on them if I had. I was in flip flops and they were in their Crocs and sandals. The kids did a fantastic job though I couldn't have been prouder. Addison slipped a few times going down the steep slopes and stairs, but she handled the rocks really well.
Can you see the Park Ranger behind the rock next to Alex? Alex usually give everyone that doesn't know him a good scare when they first meet him. Lots of people think he is going to hurt himself. This Ranger was very worried as Alex was running through and around the rocks, as were the other tourists sitting around. I tried to explain this amazing balance and set him at easy and as time went on I do think he loosened up a bit.
Alex was truly enjoying himself. I had a fun time watching him climb and run around. He headed back in front of us though and got off the path. He was below the path about 20 feet when I found him. I walked back and so did he and we met up and got back on the path to head back up to the top.
When our family was the only one in the area and the Ranger started to warm up to my little ones he went into his bag behind a large rock and pulled out a net and a homemade fishing line. He asked the kids if they wanted to fish for crawdads. They didn't really know what crawdads were (what a bad Southern Mom I am) so he told them they were like little lobsters. The kids went down and tried to catch some by themselves first with no luck. The Ranger then went down and showed them where to go. Adam and Addison caught one and are holding it up proudly in the net. Sorry the pictures are blurry, I was holding Amelia and balancing at the same time!! The Ranger helped put the crawdad back in the water and the kids watched it eat the hot dog until it was full!
Amelia was stuck with me sitting above the kids as they climbed around and went up to the water. She wasn't happy about it, but every time she stood up she slipped and sat back down or had me hold her! We had a wonderful time at the park. We all got our exercise for the day, even Amelia. She slept through Payson, but as soon as her ears started popping she cried most of the way home!
I would highly recommend the Natural Bridge Park :) The kids would really like to take their Dad when he gets home. I am grateful that I honed into my inner Lund and created things for us to do :) We listed/read a lot of Harry Potter and enjoyed our activities we did together. I am hoping that this adventurous load them up and conquer something continues! The kids had fun and so did I :)











No comments:
Post a Comment