Today the kids and I went to their second dental check-up of the year. I am very happy to report NO CAVITIES!!!! Amelia did such a great job that she was completely finished and holding her treats by the time Alex and I rounded the corner from X-Rays. Alex had a hard time with the experience, but the weighted vest from the X-Ray area helped for a little bit. I did end up having to lay a crossed him to hold down his hands and legs. He made it though though and that is a big victory. Addison was a very big girl. She took her X-Rays all by herself and then went through the cleaning and check-up while I was helping Alex. Adam of course did everything on his own. He is an old hat when it comes to going to the dentist. He didn't need X-Rays so he was in and out with his cleaning and check-up. Adam took Amelia into the waiting room while I helped Alex. He is such a great big brother :)
All of the kids had a few spots we need to watch and flossing needs to be more persistent, but I was very pleased!!
So...one of the things that I have learned recently is that a study was done that said fluoride effects Autistic children. (Did you know that high doses of fluoride in water was used to torture and kill people?) I spoke to our dentist today and not only had they read the study, they had answers. The fluoride used at our doctors office is gluten and dye free. Not all dentist offices are so...you do have to ask! They only apply it to the teeth and were very careful with the kids to suction really well so that none of the excess would be swallowed. When we are brushing at home or chewing gum there is a natural substance called Xylitol. The Xylitol acts as a natural fluoride and is from birch tree pulp. Tom's Natural Care of Maine makes both a toothpaste and gum with the xylitol in it. The dentist also told me that most dentist offices in Europe are already using Xylitol instead of fluoride.



No comments:
Post a Comment