Friday, November 21, 2008

Our National Archives

The day that we visited the National Archives their was a protest going on. We had to enter a different door as to not be bothered by the event. Their were signs hanging from the building with messages of investigating Pres. Bush for war crimes. I thought it was very interesting that we live in such a free country that you can even protest and hang signs on our building of National Archives.
This is a picture of Zeus!
The line to see the special documents including the Declaration of Independence was pretty long. People were really taking their time and reading the documents. They had documents from the Civil War and the Thirteenth Amendment. Adam and I were surprised that one of the documents was even signed in blood.
The Declaration of Independence is actually four pages. This is the first page with the memorable We the People at the top.

After the kids was the Declaration of Independence they earned a ride on the Carosel that is located in the middle of the National Mall. Weeeee!

2 comments:

Meredith said...

The other day Lindsay was asking about the papers the old people wrote to start our country. (They are having a government social studies unit) and I reminded her she has seen them. I guess when you walk thru a museum and shuffle from exhibit to exhibit when you are FOUR you don't put two and two together! I need to dig out our pictures for her.

Molly said...

I'm not going to comment on every post but I read call of them, looks like you guys had a fantastic time! I am so jealous, I would love to go to Washington DC... I keep telling Andy I want to go there for his sabattical but he thinks the kids are too young to get a lot out of it. It seems like your kids had a great time though. Sorry the plane ride home was a little "stinky" though!