Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Fond Memory becomes a Family Tradition!

Last night Adam and I took the rare opportunity to go on a date! Our babysitter lives about 35 minutes from home and so last night I took a happy childhood memory and passed it on to my little ones. When Adam and I got home from our movie I heard footsteps upstairs...
When I was a little girl still in elementary school and my parents would go out on a date, the babysitter would let me stay up late and run to my room when my parents pulled into the driveway. I am sure that just as I heard foot steps last night my parents heard me as well. My Dad would come into my bedroom or one of the boys rooms and get us from our beds to take the babysitters home. On our way to the babysitters home Dad would stop off at the 7Eleven and let us pick a treat for the ride home. I can remember the times when it was my turn and I knew what I was getting to do, and when my brothers were getting a turn and knowing what I was missing that time around. I treasured those nights when my door was the one that opened and obviously it has stayed with me all these years.
Last night the foot steps were Addison's. I had her come downstairs and as she very slowly walked down the stairs (thinking she was in trouble) I asked her if she wanted to ride with me to take our sitter home. A stop for M&Ms and a creative original song composed and performed by Addison about her Dad really made the experience for me. The special small ways I spent time with my parents are now becoming some of my favorite with each of my little ones too :)

1 comment:

Molly said...

That's cute! Glad you got to have that time with her. It's always good to create those memories, glad you were able to do it.