Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Stops 14 & 15- Kansas City & Oklahoma City


Our drive from Carthage to Albuquerque was a hurry up and get there drive. We left Carthage around noon and arrived in Kansas City around dinner time. What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you say dinner in Kansas City? For us it is BBQ, we had never tried Kansas City BBQ before and so we decided to give it a try. Adam did his research and Jack Stack's was the winner. We called as we were getting into town and were able to pick it up and take it right to our hotel room!! Adam said that it was the best BBQ he had ever purchased. WOW that is quite the statement coming from a man that loves his BBQ :) We had the links, ribs and fix-ins, but the best thing of all had to be the burnt ends. If you ever find yourself driving through Kansas City we would recommend the BBQ! Adam liked it some much that he almost turned around the next morning to head back into town for lunch!!
Our original plan was to cut diagonally across Kansas and come into New Mexico in a town called Springer. Sometimes your best plan doesn't always work out for ya though so we made our way to Oklahoma City. We stopped for lunch at Burger King so the kids could play for a little bit. We were happy to see that Adam had be rightfully added to the Twilight door clings! Not having planned to stay in Oklahoma City we found a hotel on the airport property and literally slept and left. I am sure that we will try to visit the sights of Oklahoma some other time.
I don't know if you recall, but on my first post I told you about things we counted. Large crosses were one of the items we counted and between Kansas City and New Mexico we saw two of the largest crosses on the trip.
Before arriving into New Mexico Dadam and I were reviewing the things that we had counted thus far. We had counted the stimulus projects and laughed at the thought of orange barrels in New Mexico, you see they are very well know for their orange barrels. Low and behold as soon as we were driving across the New Mexico boarder orange barrels started to appear and we felt it was truly picture worthy :)

1 comment:

Molly said...

I have loved reading about your adventures - sorry I haven't been commenting - I am impressed with how quickly you are getting these posted! That BBQ looks amazing! Maybe on our second sabbatical we will take that trip - looks so fun!