In my life time I can only remember a few really historical events thateffected me and those around me. This past week was one of the first events that my children where alive for. As I blog I print out my posts as my journal so please forgive me for being sentimental today. Tuesday the 20th of January 2009 changed the fabric of America. I want my children to know that God created the human race after his own self image. We might not look exactly alike, but we are all equal and loved by our Heavenly Father. I watched the t.v. on Tuesday (Casa Grande, AZ) not wanting to miss a part of this historical event. Lil Adam was in Kindergarten, Addison was playing and as President Obama was taking the oath Alex was sitting in my lap on my bed. As you can see from the picture above, my parents were participating with the other 1.5 million people on the Mall in Washington D.C. They arrived at 4:20 am and waited in the cold until the oath was taken. What an amazing opportunity to be living during this historical event not only for our country, but the world!

The other big events that I can remember were first September 11, 2001. I am sure that my children will read about this sad day in their history classes. I was driving into work (Albuquerque, New Mexico) and heard on the radio that a plane had crashed into buildings in New York and D.C. As I heard the news I picked up my phone and called my mom. My dad worked at the Pentagon a lot and I wanted to know that he was safe. I was happy to hear that he was safe, but felt such heart ache for the families destroyed by this tragedy. Adam and I spent the evening watching the news. Americans really came together in the weeks and months after this tragedy. I can remember enjoying the coming together. A year later in my history class I had my students reflect on the past and share their feelings. They were truly effected by the event and changed forever as was the world.

Finally, I can remember sitting in my classroom in elementary school (Sherwood Elementary/Pensacola, Fl) watching the Challenger shuttle take off. This was a huge deal because a teacher was aboard this flight. As the Challenger took off something happened and they never left the atmosphere. Watching the explosion with my class is burned into my mind. My teacher wanted to turn the t.v. off right away, but we continued to watch and hear reactions from people.
To my knowledge there has only been one other shuttle explode in my life time. It happened a few years ago on a reentry. I was watching the t.v. and speaking with my dad on the phone.
Life can be funny sometimes, I can remember so much from these experiences in my life. Yet when I try to remember other things that have happened I can't recall as much as I want to.
To my children, always remember that life has it's good days and bad. Keep your heads up and follow our Saviors example. These are my memories of history, I can't wait for you to live your! Love , Mom
To my knowledge there has only been one other shuttle explode in my life time. It happened a few years ago on a reentry. I was watching the t.v. and speaking with my dad on the phone.
Life can be funny sometimes, I can remember so much from these experiences in my life. Yet when I try to remember other things that have happened I can't recall as much as I want to.
To my children, always remember that life has it's good days and bad. Keep your heads up and follow our Saviors example. These are my memories of history, I can't wait for you to live your! Love , Mom


2 comments:
Love this post. What a great way to document these significant events.
I don't think any of us will every forget any of these events. Thanks for sharing....
Post a Comment